Following are the steps to configure the Apache 2.2 on the windows machine.
1) Download and install apache 2.2 from here
2) Follow the below instructions,
- Open Command prompt and browse to ~Apache2.2/bin directory.
- Type, openssl req -config ../conf/openssl.cnf -new -out ssl_cert.csr -keyout ssl_cert.pem
- System will ask for the details about the certificate.
- Fill out all the information but,
- Make sure that you remember the entered PEM pass phrase.
- Common name should be the domain name that you will use this certificate on.
- Type, openssl rsa -in ssl_cert.pem -out ssl_cert.key
- You will be asked to enter the earlier entered PEM pass phrase.
- It should display "writing RSA key" output.
- Type, openssl x509 -in ssl_cert.csr -out ssl_cert.crt -req -signkey ssl_cert.key -days 365
- 365 is the no. of days till the certificate is valid.
- Keep, ssl_cert.key & ssl_cert.csr file at separate location ("C:\SSL_certificates\" folder) and you can delete remaining file.
- Browse through ~Apache2.2/conf directory and open httpd.conf file.
- Search "#LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so" line and un-comment the same (remove # from the beginning).
- Search "#Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf" and un-comment the same.
- Browse through ~Apache2.2/conf/extra directory and open httpd-ssl.conf file.
- Search "#Listen 443" line and un-comment the same.
- Search "#SSLCertificateFile" line and add above that line SSLCertificateFile "C:/SSL_certificates/ssl_cert.crt". Provided you have kept the file at the given location.
- Search "#SSLCertificateKeyFile" line and add above that line SSLCertificateKeyFile "C:/SSL_certificates/ssl_cert.key".
- That's it! Now you can restart apache 2.2 and you should be able to access the application on HTTPS.